Winsor Primary is fortunate to work in partnership with Juniper Ventures (formerly Newham Catering & Cleaning Services) in order to provide freshly prepared and nutritionally balanced meals on a daily basis.
We offer a choice of main courses (including vegetarian and halal options) and an exciting choice of vegetables and salads.
Parents can pick up a copy of the school menu from the Main Office or alternatively, follow the link. (MENU).
All children in Reception and Key Stage 1 (Years 1 and 2) are entitled to Universal Free School Meals. Currently, all other pupils in Key Stage 2 are funded by Newham Council.
Free School Meals are also available to children whose parents receive Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Child Tax Credit or the Asylum Seekers Allowance and we would urge all parents to complete an application irrespective of eligibility as this information is checked throughout your child’s time in primary school and could lead to increased funding for the school through Pupil Premium.
Applications can be made here
via the Newham Website.
If you decide to send your child in with a packed lunch, please ensure he or she has a healthy and balanced meal.
Packed lunches should not contain glass bottles, cans of fizzy drink or sweets. We also ask that foods containing nuts are not brought in to school in order to safeguard children with serious nut allergies. Packed lunches should be brought in a suitable lunchbox clearly marked with your child’s name.
Some ideas of what to put in a packed lunch:
- Sandwiches or wraps filled with tuna, cheese, ham, chicken, egg with lettuce, tomato or slices of cucumber
- Sticks of raw carrot, celery, peppers or other raw vegetables
- Small tomatoes or other salad items
- Cheese cubes
- Yogurt (with a spoon)
- Mini salads made from leftover pasta or rice
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Small cake or bun
- Fruit smoothies or puree
We suggest that a child always has a sandwich or something equivalent plus two or three other items.
PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILD CRISPS, SWEETS OR FIZZY DRINKS AND PLEASE DO NOT PUT DRINKS IN GLASS BOTTLES.
Tips on Making Sure Your Lunches Get Eaten:
- Don’t give your child more than he or she can eat.
- Let your child get involved in packing their lunch box.
- Present food in a novel way by cutting sandwiches or chunks of cheese into different shapes.
- In hot weather, keep the contents of your child’s lunchbox cool by including a pouch of yogurt or fruit puree or a carton of juice that has been frozen overnight. By lunchtime the item will have defrosted.
- Children like to re-fuel quickly so that they can have the maximum amount of time in the playground to play with their friends. Make sure that all items are easy to open and eat.
Should you decide that you would prefer to take your child home for lunch, then children should be collected promptly at 12 noon (Reception), 12.15 pm (Key Stage 1) and 12.30 pm (Key Stage 2). Pupils must return to school promptly in readiness to start the afternoon session.